[6pack] RHD PI TR6 Value

Robert N. Clark rclark at robertsonclark.com
Mon Jan 18 15:38:53 MST 2010

As a lawyer, I work with insurance companies on claims every day.
First, it is important to understand the that the "other guy's"
insurance company pays what its insured is legally liable to pay.  In
most cases, this is the cost to repair or the market value of the
damaged property, whatever is less.  When an insurer has a claim, it
does a market analysis using other sales to determine value much like a
real estate appraisal.  Easy to do when you have a modern car, more
difficult and subject to more dispute when you have a 30 plus year old
car.  Probably the only benefit to valuing an older vehicle is that
mileage and age don't matter as much unless you have an extremely low
mileage vehicle, and comparable sales probably don't need to be as
recent.

Whatever you have, try to find as much information on actual sales for
the vehicle as is available from sources such as ebay, Hemmings and
clubs.  Buyers guide type articles in magazines may offer some support.
If the insurer comes up with a price you don't like, its up to you to
provide the information to change their mind.

All of the above doesn't apply to the insurance you carry on your own
vehicle.  That is subject to the terms of your policy.

Now for the disclaimer, I am not agreeing to be anyone's lawyer and the
general information provided above is to provide members of the list
with helpful information should they find themselves in similar
situations in the future.  Consult an attorney in your own state to
evaluate your case.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6

P.S.  I doubt right hand drive adds much but I would pay more for the PI
than the carbed version.