[6pack] silicone valve cover gasket

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Tue Jan 19 10:12:06 MST 2010

	Walt:

	I used Permatex Form-a-gasket number one with my cork gasket and it is still
going strong after 3 years.

	Hylomar is not supposed to set, ever. It is not an adhesive, it is designed
to seal any leaks while at the same time allowing the gasket to release nicely
during disassembly. This is the difference between a "sealant" and an
"adhesive", and Hylomar falls into the sealant category.
	I use Hylomar between the cork gasket and the cylinder head, and it never
leaks a drop of oil. So, form a gasket between the gasket and valve cover, and
Hylomar between the gasket and head. Leak free, and releases nicely when I
remove the cover to adjust the valves.
	Unfortunately, I used the last of my Hylomar recently. Hylomar was being
distributed by Permatex in the US, but the arrangement came to an end for some
reason. Now you can only get Hylomar from some specialty distributors in the
US, not from the corner auto parts store. I have switched to Form a gasket
number two (never hardens) in place of Hylomar, but I prefer Hylomar because I
find it much easier to work with. Time will tell if I am as satisfied with
Form a gasket number two as I was with Hylomar.

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast