[6pack] Triple stromberg

shawn loseke shawn.loseke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:59:20 MST 2010

I'm pretty happy with the triple ZS set up. Though I did switch to a
RatCo throttle cable to do away with the bell crank set up. SU HS6's,
with the external float bowls that sit on the side of the carb, can be
an real tight fit. HIF-44's, with an integral float bowl like the ZS,
would work very well. There are only a couple of areas that the SU's
have over the ZS's. One would be needle selection, the other would be
that you can adjust the mixture while the engine is running. Beyond
that it boils down to maintenance issues. Both SU's and ZS's will
perform fairly equally if they are in the same condition. If you have
plenty of Strombergs then I would suggest you stay with them.

Spend some money on two Master Rebuild kits, get the manifold and
accessories and go for it. I suggest the Master rebuild kits so that
you can start with three very fresh carburetors. New throttle shafts
and seals, butterflies, bypass valves (these don't come in the Master
rebuild kit, you have to buy them separately) ... everything. Get them
as close to perfect as you can to start with and you'll be chasing
less headaches later. It helps to build it all on the bench to before
doing it in the car. That way you'll get very familiar with all you
need to when you can pick it up and look at it from different angles.

If you also have a header then I would recommend a heat shield as well.

Shawn