[6pack] Got a problem with the race car, need advice

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Mon Mar 22 11:29:04 MST 2010

	Chuck:

	I am going to assume that your tach is electric rather than mechanical. The
reason this is important is that if it is mechanical, the tach has nothing to
do with your ignition issues. If you have replaced the stock tach with an
electric one, it is giving you an important clue as to what is happening with
the ignition. I must also state that I do not run a Pertronix, so I am merely
speculating and asking questions. I am not speaking from experience so forgive
me if I state the obvious or say something ridiculous.
	I believe that the Pertronix is magnetically triggered, so I must ask if you
have checked the gap between the magnetic pick up and the magnets inside the
dizzy. I do not know if it is adjustable, but if it is, then it sounds as
though your pickup is not getting a clean signal from the little whirling
magnets so check the gap.
	Does your dizzy have a vacuum advance? If so, it it sticking? You said the
breakup occurs at WOT, which is when the vacuum advance should be disabled. If
it is sticking, it may be hanging on longer than it should so you run with too
much advance. Any indication of pinging (audible)? Are there any little bits
of aluminum on your spark plug electrodes (non-audible. Very destructive.).
	I think the Pertronix uses replaceable advance limiters, yes? Have they come
loose? Both advance springs still attached correctly? How much total advance
have you tailored the dizzy for? You should run no more than 34 to 36 degrees
of total advance (static timing plus mechanical advance). Vacuum advance would
be in addition to the mechanical advance.
	For racing, if you have vacuum advance try disconnecting it completely.
Vacuum advance is only for economy, and really does nothing for performance.
So try no vacuum advance just to eliminate that as a source of problems.

	just my $0.02

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Knowledge is power.