[6pack] diff seals

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Fri Nov 26 14:18:10 MST 2010

Pim---A few things to check when/if doing this chore again...Take a look at the area where these seals do their work. For them to seal properly, the mating areas need to be free of the grooves that can wear in where the seal lips make contact. Sometimes the seal can be moved up or down the shaft a 1/16" or so to expose a new area.
The bearings also need to be in good shape to keep these shafts from "moving away" from the points of seal contact. (Same goes for crankshaft seals).
There can be some marginal benefit from shortening the spring contained in some of these seals. This can be done by cutting the spring a half inch or so, then twisting the spring back together. Supposedly giving a better clamp to the shaft.
Rarely, but possible, the case vent can get plugged. Check out this small hole to be sure no pressure can build up inside. You should see a small cotter pin in this vent hole at the top of the case.
Finally, I don't know the extent of the leaks you are finding. Know it's very difficult to keep these units totally leak-free, esp. at the pinion shaft/flange.
One other solution is to go to the Infiniti limited $lip differential. Never heard of one of these leaking!

Dick