[6pack] Crankcase ventalation & Oil leaks

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Tue Nov 30 13:40:58 MST 2010

John---The original system of venting the crankcase into the ZS carbs works well enough for engines that do not have excessive blowby. If you no longer have the ZS' and have the SU, there is a port on them, intended to give vacuum advance, that can provide a connection to the engine. It's just a matter of rigging tubing between the two.
I've not found it really necessary to use vacuum to vent the engine. It's combustion pressure we're dealing with, so any decent means of letting it out (without going thru the seals!) should work.
I will admit to fudging here a bit, as I have both the valve cover port venting into the air filter housing (but not thru the filter itself) as well as a tube running from the original fuel pump opening blanking plate to the SU vacuum port. Between the two, there is no crankcase pressure buildup. (I have connected pressure gauges in key spots to monitor this under full boost).

Then there is the Goodparts system that should work well. Looks pretty trick!

Dick