[6pack] Timing Replies - thank you

Vance Navarrette v.navarrette at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 18:07:58 MDT 2010

	Bill:

	It runs equally well in either case because your vacuum
"advance" is actually a vacuum retard not an advance, and because the
minute you step on the accelerator the vacuum retard disconnects itself
if it is operating correctly.

	However, I suspect that in your case the vacuum retard is
inoperative as age causes the vacuum capsules to fail. So I am betting
that you are operating with no vacuum control on your ignition timing -
hence the result that it seemingly makes no difference.

	To see if your retard is inoperative, start the car and allow it
to warm fully. With the engine idling at about 850 RPM, pull the vacuum
line off the vacuum capsule. The idle should immediately increase by
about 400-500 RPM. If it does not, your vacuum capsule bit the dust and
you are operating without vacuum retard.

	Should you confirm this and decide to replace your vacuum
capsule, be aware that the vacuum capsule for the later cars is NLA. All
is not lost however, simply purchase the vacuum capsule for the earlier
cars, and use a hacksaw to cut off the threaded adjustment rod. It will
then be a drop in replacement for the original vacuum capsule.

	Vance