[6pack] "pull engine?" not!

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Wed Oct 27 08:01:05 MDT 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, otral at juno.com wrote:

> My worst fears evaporated when I removed the valve cover to discover my rocker
> arm assembly shaft had snapped over #1 cylinder.  I just happen to have a
> spare parts motor with rocker arm assembly already off the head and ready to
> be fitted on.  These great moments in life seldom happen to me!

The question is "why?"

Before you put the new rocker assembly on, make certain that the valves
aren't "stuck" in the guides (tap with a hammer, you'll get a dull thud if
the valve is hung up. You don't have to hit the valves hard, just make
sure they're not siezed.

The shafts usually break along a line that has the oil hole from rocker
pedestal to the set screw that keeps the shaft from turning. But that's
between valve 12 and valve 11 (counting from the front of the engine).

Don't ask how I know that the shafts break.

> Al Graffam - 74 French Blue  CT.

regards,
rml