[6pack] Gas in the oil?

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Sep 12 17:17:52 MDT 2010

On Sunday, September 12, 2010 04:50:47 pm John North wrote:
> Couple weeks ago, the weather turned bad, so I filled up the TR6 and
> parked it in the garage.   Sunny today, but it's hard starting, oil
> pressure is low, won't hold an idle.   The dipstick shows oil is about
> an inch above the high mark, it seems very thin for 10/50 and it
> smells of gas.   Hard starting even when warm, misfiring, won't idle.
>
> How does gas get in the oil sump when parked   Stuck float?   When the
> tank is full, I think it is high enough to force gas through the
> carbs...   Would that explain both issues?
>
> John North
> 1976 TR6 Inca Yellow
John,

When I picked up my 72 2 years ago, it ran but the PO said the carbs needed
rebuilding. Well the carbs and the rest of the car!

Anyway, when I drained the sump, it had about 7 quarts and it smelled of gas
and was very thin. But this engine did not have the stock fuel pump installed.
It had an electric with a blanking plate to cover the block where the pump
would have been installed. So I am guessing the fuel you are seeing in the
sump could have come from the carbs maybe through the breather between the
carbs and the valve cover. Just a guess.

I replaced the ZSs with SUs from Paltech and so far with about 1 hour on a
rebuilt engine, no gas in the sump. Stayed with the electronic fuel pump but
added a regulator set at 2PSI. Same setup I have on my 3 and 4.

Bob