[6pack] Ignition Timing

Vance Navarrette v.navarrette at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 20:56:18 MDT 2010

	Colin:

	10 BTDC with the vacuum retard disconnected.

	Is it really a backfire or is it a miss? If it is spitting back
through the carbs then I guess it must be a backfire, yes? A miss would
not spit back through the carbs... Hmmm.

	One possibility is that you have an intake valve that is
misadjusted, independent of the fact that your timing is slightly
advanced. The advanced timing would cause knocking (or "pinking", as the
Queen's subjects would say). Backfiring occurs when the intake valve
doesn't close, allowing the combustion flame front to propagate back
into the intake manifold.

	You didn't say when the cam went into the motor. Was it a recent
addition? If so, it is possible that the camshaft is misphased. It would
need to be waaaay off however, so unless it idles like home made dog
food, this seems unlikely.

	If your distributor rotor or cap is bad, the spark could
occasionally be jumping to the wrong plug tower I suppose. As the engine
revs the spark timing changes because of mechanical advance, making it
more difficult for the spark to jump to the wrong tower and the backfire
goes away.

	Dunno, just a couple of ideas to check out.

	BTW, my 6 runs very happily on 86 octane with 9.6:1 compression,
270 degree cam, Zenith carbs/B1AR needles and stock exhaust.

	Vance