[6pack] BMW Z4 vs Triumph TR6

Bob Rochlin r_rochlin at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:04:12 MST 2011

So my wife got a 2005 BMW Z4 as kind of a retirement thing.  She had admired
the cars for many years and as a compromise for another car that was fun, but
one we really didn't need, it worked.   Now that I've had some time to drive
and acclimate to the car I'd like to share some observations about modern
sports cars vs our old Triumphs, in my case a '72 TR6, with the list.
Comfort and cockpit room:  the Z4 has more comfortable seats than the Triumph,
but the Triumph has more room for coats small packages etc. If you want to
take off your jacket in the Z4 You need to put it into the trunk.Noise Levels:
In the Triumph I can't hear the radio over the engine / road noise past 55MPH,
in the Z4 I can't hear the engine over the radio. The Z4 rev limiter has saved
that engine more than once in the last couple of months...Top:  Putting the
top down on the TR6 takes about 5 minutes, putting the top up, especially if
it is cold can take the better part of 15 minutes.  The Z4 takes the press of
a button and about 60 seconds no matter what the temperature. Handling: My TR6
suspension is all rebuilt as factory.  Handles well on the street.  The Z4 is
wide stiff and has wide low profile tires and seems glued to the road in
turns.Safety:  The Z4 has four air bags, an integral roll, bar and crumple
zones.  TR6, God on your side and a lot of luck...Shifting:  the Z4 is a
little smoother and the throw is shorter, but honestly the TR6 compares
well.Do it yourself repairs: Everything on the Z4 needs special tools except
the brakes as far as I can tell, and a number of features, if you want them
active, need to be programed to work by the BMW proprietary computer tool.
TR6-basic tool kit for most things, the list, and a couple of work-arounds.  A
lot of the fun I get from my TR6 is turning my own wrench.Driving fun:  The
TR6 has it all over the Z4.  The Z4 is smooth, refined, sophisticated and, in
my opinion, a bit boring.  The TR6 sounds, acts and handles like I expect a
sports car should.  You never will mistake a ride in a Triumph with a modern
sports car.  Fun quotient: BMW Z4 good, TR6-over the top, in my estimation,
way more fun.Just my opinion...Bob Rochlin'72 TR6'05 Z4