[6pack] Valve lash question

mjmullin at juno.com mjmullin at juno.com
Tue Jan 18 16:12:36 MST 2011

Hi all: I too prefer the list.  If I could surf the net all day at work, I'd
likely be a more frequent visitor to the forums!!! Problem/topic for
discussion:  I was setting my valve lash yesterday (after five or ten years?)
and would have thought the clearances would have remained rock solid all these
years, but to my surprise, most of the valves loosened up a little - I guess
it's wear in the valve train, cam, lifters, etc.  More surprisingly, two of
the exhaust valves (#5 and #9, fed by different carbs) had closed up.  It's a
Ted Schumacher 275 cam that's supposed to have .020" hot on the exhausts; one
had gone down to .010' and the other to .006" cold.  Wow. Valve seat
recession?  Junk falling down into the lifters?..highly unlikely. I though
that the concensus on this side of the pond was that valve seat wear was an
urban legend? I'll finish with a tip that I learned a while back - use thin
feeler gauges that are no wider than the valve stem, that way you'll get the
true clearance.  If you use the more common wider style, you may not be able
to "feel" a groove that's been worn in the underside of the rocker arm pad.  I
guess if things get that bad, it's time to replace the rocker arms! Thanks
all, Matt Mullin