[6pack] starter issues?

oliver sumton at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 9 13:56:35 MDT 2011

On Saturday afternoon we thought we heard some kind of metal on metal noise,
but it seemed to be coming from a different vehicle.  Started the car Sunday
morning and didn't hear it; just moved the car about 50 yards and turned it
off.  Started the car later that morning and heard it.  Opened the hood and it
seemed to be coming from the valves.  Since the valves were just adjusted a
week or so ago, thought that might be it.  Thought we could make it home.  Ran
the car for a few minutes, then turned it off.  Started it again about 15
minutes later, still heard the noise, and drove off.  After about 20 minutes
we smelled something akin to cigarette smoke, not burning wires.  Realized it
was us, and pulled off on the next exit.  Turned the car off, and looked for
issues.  Nothing seemed obvious; the alternator seemed ok and the belt was
tight.  Tried to start the car but it just made a noise, which I think is the
sound of the starter motor spinning without engaging the flywheel.  We push
started the car, and then drove out.  The amp gauge pinned left, so far that
we couldn't see the needle.  Figured we had electrical issues, and drove
without lights, wipers, overdrive, etc.  In about 20 minutes the amp needle
reappeared and gradually over about an hour's time made it back to just left
of center, which is typical.  We made it home - about a three hour drive and
put the car in the garage.

I'm thinking that there was a starter related short?  That we lost the
solenoid?  Possibly water related - it rained constantly from yesterday
afternoon, when we were out, all night, and all the way home.  I'm guessing
that the cigarette smell was burned bearings or something like that?  The
metal chatter I mistook for valves (which, btw, disappeared after the smoke
incident) was the starter fighting with the flywheel?  Most likely I've got a
bad solenoid?

BTW the starter is one of those high torque starters, which although came from
a very reputable source, has been the source of a lot of problems and issues
for me, including not having the right thickness spacer.  So it has been in
and out several times, and during its hiatus I had a regular starter in.  I
couldn't tell the difference!