[6pack] Exhaust needs a tad more loud

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Mon Oct 17 07:52:54 MDT 2011

Hi,

I've posted a few times on this subject. :-)

I ran a Monza system for years, probably 15 years or so. I hated it. After
a long trip, my ears would be ringing and I'd be very tired. And I drove
that thing - I "iron manned" to Dallas, Road America a couple of times,
Virgina from Boston and lots of other "shorter" trips. I used to set off
car alarms in car parks and all that.

I finally pulled that system out at the end of last year. Oddly, after
close to 40k miles, all the pipes were in almost perfect condition, so it
proably would have lasted another number of years had I not cut it out
with a torch "accidentally". :-)

I wound up putting in a custom exhaust made of 2" pipe and a "turbo" style
muffler. Turbo mufflers are quiet untill you tromp in it. And on my car,
when the cam comes one, the thing makes enough noise that you know
something's going on under the hood. But when driving around / cruising,
you can actually talk (not yell!!) to your passenger. This was HUGE for
me.

The bottom line for my setup which included some messaging to get the
system attached to the special header I have was not cheap at $400, but I
didn't even get my hands dirty in the process, so that was pretty sweet.
My only regret is that I would have liked all the tubes to have been done
in stainless, but the shop that did the work used fairly thick aluminized
steel (14 gauge, I think - it's pretty thick) so I doubt this system will
ever rust out...

I could go into great detail on this, but I won't right now. Suffice to
say that the sound is great and the cost was reasonable when compared to
buying a Falcon or other brand SS "sport" setup - I highly recommend this
way of doing the exhaust. So much so that I also have a similar setup on
my race car, although the race car uses a 2.5" pipe from the header back.
That car is fairly quiet too, although it doesn't see a lot of partial
throttle running. And the carb intake noise is actually louder than the
exhaust, believe it or not.

c ya,
rml