[6pack] Horn issues

Dave More tr6 at lbcs.ca
Sat Jul 7 13:23:12 MDT 2012

I'm currently going through a similar type of issue. In my case, when the
horns work they work very well, and then at other times they don't work at all
or jus a very pathetic bleep. The relay is working properly and I've confirmed
voltage at the horns of ~12V. Suspecting a ground issue I found a "bulleted
ground" which appears to also service the LF side parking light. An ohmmeter
showed a high resistance so I changed out the bullet connectors and cleaned up
the female connector, and after doing so the horns worked great .. for a
while. Now I'm back to the same situation as before, however I find that if I
wiggle the wiring harness below the headlight and to the left of the rad the
horns come to life. I guess it's feasible that a ground wire could be broken
inside the harness but I don't really understand how that could be.

So my next step now is to run a ground wire directly from the hor's ground
terminal to a known good body ground. If that works then it's a definite
pointer to a wiring ground issue, but given the crucial nature of the horns in
our cars I'll probably leave the new ground in place.

Cheers,
Dave