[6pack] Alternator: Moss or TRF...or other

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Thu Jul 12 05:53:28 MDT 2012

Hi,

Try:

www.dbelectrical.com

One wire:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-10635-regular-output.aspx

or

Three wire:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-9038-new-chevy-mini-alternator-denso-street-rod-race-3-wire.aspx

You probably want the one-wire unit as it has a higher output capacity, 50
amps. I use the three-wire unit because my race car has a fan and the
ignition and that's it. I don't need a zillion amps for that! Also, it
weighs almost exactly 5 lb which is stupid light. The lightest one I found
and about equiv (in weight / output) than the Lucas ACR17 (which is the
lightest of that series that I've found).

The best part was that the 3-wire alternator was about $80 shipped to my
door for a BRAND NEW ALTERNATOR and no core exchange. The one-wire unit is
about $10 more shipped to your door.

You'll need to get some spacers to align the pulley to your crank and
water pump, I found them at the local hardware store (5/16 ID x 1/2 or 3/4
OD aluminum) at the proper thickness (which I forgot, but I think it's
3/8"). I used a shortened fan belt which I think is 1135 mm long. It was a
pretty easy conversion. I also used an off the shelf alternator bracket
from Mr. Gasket that I cut down - much better than the stock piece and it
all mounts extremely solid.

I can probably get part numbers if you need them, but I bought the
alternator, mounted the swivel end to get the alignment and then bought
the bracket and spacers. Total installation time was 30 - 40 minutes.

Total cost including a new chrome bracket was about $110 or less ($80 for
the alt., $20 for the bracket, $5 for bolts (I kept the 6mm metric threads
in the case for the belt tension bolt, so I bought a new one and washer)
and another $5 or so for the spacers.)

I am _very happy_ with the results.

Side benefit - the alternator shaft is the same size as the Lucas unit so
you can swap pulleys if you need to. Note, however, that if you have fancy
aluminum pulleys, you may need to back-cut the pulley to get clearance
with the alternator body.

Regards,
rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489