[6pack] Combustion Chambers

brian at asmoothmove.biz brian at asmoothmove.biz
Fri Mar 9 09:06:01 MST 2012

I thought I would share with you another confirmation of a cure for pinging
found both in the 6-pack archives and in Kastner's Competition Preparation
Manual.

A 1972 engine with a total of .125" shaved (.075" when rebuilt in '04 and
another .050" 4 years ago) to bring the compression up to 10.1 (measured via
liquid cc method). Changing timing and fuels never made a real difference,
however smoothing out all the sharp edges in the combustion chamber has
yielded excellent

results. No pinging or run-on, period.

Being fairly new to the Triumph brand when I originally rebuilt the engine,
I thought just shaving the head, a hot cam and headers would bring
significantly more power. Wrong! Making power with these engines is more
complex than with the American V-8's of which I was previously familiar. I
went back to original cam and exhaust four years ago, but until now the
pinging remained.

Your mileage may vary.

Brian J. Alwin

1972 TR6 CC79085