[6pack] TR-6 problem

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Mon Mar 19 17:45:05 MDT 2012

Bill---The 5.5V is a little low as I recall, but not by much. One of the wires at the coil + is the ballasted wire, which supplies power after the engine starts. (The other wire supplies 12V when cranking). If you want to get the 12V after the engine starts, use a jump wire from the (key controlled) fuse block over to the coil + terminal. Disconnect and tape the other two, just long enough to see if this solves your problem. Chances are it won't.

I sounds more like your ignition points are not triggering the coil as it should. Take another look at how the points should stack on the post, with the insulation block.

The backfiring suggests that the ign. timing is out of phase. Crossed plug wires (if that's possible for you) or the spark is frequently going to the wrong terminal under the cap. This is easy to check, but the steps required might be too long for this forum. Write back for more, if necessary.

Dick

There