[6pack] Since we're talkin' about TR-7 J-type ODs …

Ruffner, James A *HS JAR7U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Tue May 29 16:13:25 MDT 2012

First place to check is the solenoid.  It could well be jamming.  They get
old, and dirt gets into the space between the plunger and the barrel of the
solenoid.  Most of them will make a distinct "snap" when going into and out of
operation.

You can check the operation of the switches in the transmission cover by
putting a meter to check electrical continuity when you shift gears.   Third
possibility is the secondary relay.  It could also be stuck.  The car does not
even need to be running when doing these tests, just have the ignition on.
Check the wiring diagram to see where to put the meter.  You can also use a
little light bulb and a couple of alligator clips and watch to see if the
light goes on and off.