[6pack] Speedometer Issue

Jeff Fetner FETNERJ001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Oct 16 15:28:38 MDT 2012

Aloha Bruce,

  Does it jump regularly or erratically?  There is a pawl that turns the
gear (cog?) that advances the odometer number wheels.  If the grease
for all that stuff dries out, the cable has to work harder against that
resistance and sort of 'winds up' a bit like a spring.  Once the pawl turns
the mileage wheel (about every third of a tenth, IIRC) and the needle
jumps as the spring unloads and the magnetic bar spins faster for a bit.

  Anyway, lack of lubrication is the usual cause one way or another.
Reduced
clearance between the needle plate (behind the face) and the rotating
magnetic
bar can cause contact and jump around, usually with scraping sounds.  There
are some good how-tos on the web, but yes, there are lots of small parts and
springs in there.  Opening it up for careful lubrication (like 1 drop) may
help.

Jeff