[6pack] Floorpan replacement and Rust repair quote...

Ashford Little ralittle2 at mac.com
Wed Jun 10 06:33:47 MDT 2015

Thank you James for posing an interesting conundrum, and one that probably more than a few of us have gone through… or will.  I can’t answer your question, but that doesn’t mean I won’t chip in.  So, I’ll relay a short story in hopes it might help you.  A dozen or so years ago I bought a TR6.  It wasn’t perfect, nor was it represented to be, but as I began to explore things, I noticed that there were some issues that weren’t quite to my liking.  On the rare occasion I drove my car and I hit nature’s wet stuff falling from the sky (yes I’m guilty of driving my car) I noticed that the driver’s side carpet was frequently wet.  One day I decided to figure out what the exact cause of the leakage was.  In an LBC, leakage is a common occurrence, so it could be coming from a variety of place.  My first though was a couple of holes in the firewall where the rubber grommets were worn out.  Maybe, but not really.  Soon thereafter I was cleaning some gunk off of the driver’s side floorpan with a large screwdriver when it went a bit further than I thought it could… straight into the area of the inner fender.  I soon discovered an amoeba shaped hole in the floorpan.  I became upset and depressed.  Then I decided that I really liked driving my car and a little fiberglass could remedy the situation until I did my frame-off restoration.

Then there is the recognition that our cars are for our enjoyment, and that’s worth something.  So, if you are willing to have some quality work done and a fair price and the end result would be a car you could continue to enjoy for a long time to come, then you might consider going ahead and doing it. In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn’t be that big of a price to pay.

In other words, who says you can’t buy happiness, especially when it comes with a deep throaty roar.

Ashford Little
ralittle2 at mac.com