[6pack] overdrive

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Wed May 20 17:24:11 MDT 2015

72 tr6, overdrive tran.

seems to always be engaged except when I disconnect the solenoid, specifically the one to the column switch.

the column switch also has an additional lead that goes to a light on the dashboard that indicates the OD is engaged.

except for that small modification, which btw is easily disconnected, the car is wired, I believe, as per the 70-71 wiring diagram (not factory)

it was working just fine a couple weeks ago; we put about 700 miles on it over a long weekend.

the following week I cleaned the car, including the engine compartment, and accidentally pulled the above mentioned lead from the solenoid.  drove it after that day, no overdrive, no light on dash.

found the loose wire, and now the overdrive seems to be always on.  a few seconds after I shift into second, the car drops rev’s just like it is going into overdrive.  third and fourth feel like they are in overdrive, but that’s just a feel.

when I hit the switch, the light goes on but nothing else changes.  back up and the light goes off, nothing else changes.

short of pulling the tunnel, any thoughts on how I should proceed?  my friend thinks it’s the switch, but wouldn’t that affect the light as well?

thanks for your time and responses.

dave in dallas