[6pack] exhausting question

glemon at neb.rr.com glemon at neb.rr.com
Fri Dec 15 06:07:22 MST 2017

A few years ago someone on the British Car Forum said they were going to do some comparison tests, stock manifold vs. header on a TR6 motor.

I know on my TR250 I went with the later dual outlet manifold, if you did the math, I did but didn't keep it, the dual manifold has significantly larger overall pipe diameter so theoretically should be better or at least higher flow for that reason. I also know there is a lot more to exhaust and header efficiency than pipe diameter.

The old Kastner books say they could never get as much power out of a dual pipe exhaust system  as a single big pipe, but that is presumably peak high rpm racing power. Don't know how much difference there is at the low end.

FWIW, my TR250 did an electronically timed 1/4 mile at a consistent 16.7 seconds at a club event a few years ago. Driving hard but not murdering the clutch or tires.  Road and Track got 17.8.

Slightly modified, but still very docile street motor, mild cam, 9.5/1 compression with shaved head, lightened flywheel, TR4A Strombergs Carbs, Late TR6 manifold,  dual pipe custom exhaust by local shop (very quiet, actually a little too quiet).

So if you wondered what some mild mods to the motor get you there you go, appreciable gain, but still slower than a soccer mom in hurry in a modern SUV.

Greg Lemon
TR250