[6pack] TR6 Plugs Carbon Fouled

daybell7 at aol.com daybell7 at aol.com
Tue Dec 26 03:58:06 MST 2017

Thanks,  What can I do?  I’ll try leaning in out and a hotter plug (12 series).  Add upper cylinder lubricate?  I did a compression test (1-6 cylinders): 103,105,100,125,120,75.  Number six with a squirt of oil read 85.  It runs strong otherwise, but needs the choke to start.

I haven’t adjusted the valves.  I think it just needs cleaned out and run to be reliable.  Thanks again.
Steve Hughes

next time before starting but after sitting , pull a plug or three and check for oil soak . you may have leaky valve seals . ask me how i know . . .
                                           ztr6

My 73 has HS6 carbs.  I need the choke to start, but once started I can relieve the choke immediately.  The problem is the plugs foul quickly.

As long as I run the car, the plugs don't foul.  I think it's just the startups and not running the car when I move it around in and out of the garage, etc, that causes the carbon to build up.

Should I lean the carbs more?  I always thought the choke should be relieved gradually until the car warms up.  Do I need a mixture meter?

Thanks,
Steve Hughes
Gainesville, FL