[6pack] Alternator warning on, ignition off

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 10:38:54 MDT 2018

Hi John,
The first thing I'd do is check to make sure that the proper light is inserted in the correct hole. I have switched oil pressure and alternator lights around when in a hurry or not paying attention. The alternator light should have a brown / yellow wire coming from the alternator and a white wire going to the ignition switch. Try pulling the brown yellow wire from the alternator and see if the light goes out. If so, there may be a short in the alternator diodes. I have seen that happen plenty of times. If the ignition light does not go out when you pull that wire form the alternation, then you have somehow connected the ignition light to the wrong circuit and there's voltage present. Failing that, if you have a a test light - poke around to see what's going on, but the basic problem is that a brown wire in the circuit is connected to that ignition light and as you may know, the browns are hot all the time as well as un-fused, so be careful. The only other things that I can think of are related to hooking up the wrong lamp in the ignition hole in the tach, so make sure you're working on the proper circuit.

Good luck!

Bob Lang