[6pack] Zero oil pressure

James_ jattr6 at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 20:21:49 MDT 2018

So after a long 3 year total restoration I am at the stage of adding fluids and starting the car. A few hiccups... but one scary one. No oil pressure. Light stays on and gauge reads zero.
I ran the engine for short runs but still would not kick up the pressure.

I wonder if having the oil drained the whole time allowed air in the pump. I researched and others said a new pump needs to be ‘primed’ with grease.  I recall rebuilding mine years ago and vaguely recall priming it. So maybe that is my issue?

I removed the oil pressure switch, squirted about 6oz of motor oil in there instead of jumping to dropping the oil pan.
But sadly that didn’t work.
Is it possible the entire pump died?
I didn’t do any engine work so has to be a bad pump.

—Sent from my Atari 2600—