[6pack] Zero oil pressure

James_ jattr6 at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 16:20:37 MDT 2018

Turned out the pump gave up. A new pump solved the problem!
There was scoring marks inside the piston thingy of the old pump! It was the original one.
That scares me... metal fragments or something caused that. The underside of the engine was dripping with oil so the old one must have been pumping a tiny bit.

Darn thing... when I had the oil pan out for painting and a new seal a while back during this long restoration, I considered buying a new oil pump... you know the saying: ‘I may as well!’ But I told myself mine is working and I can’t buy everything new!
And of course of all times to decide to use a damn torque wrench... I forgot the front engine also has an aluminum seal and to be careful... well. Sure enough. My luck I striped on of the threads! I got enough of a bite and used thread repair. But I did buy one of those steel seal blocks to place in if needed. Or one day in the future.  Which means I’ll have to carefully remove from underneath and retain the front gaskets - otherwise it means I’ll have to tear the front of the timing chain cover and everything else to place in new gaskets. Ugh! I was so mad. Still am.

But maybe. Maybe I can get by without any oil leaks to some other day. (Winter)
I spent three years (off and on) doing a huge restoration of rust repair, new floor pans, new brake lines, and countless other items and a full fresh paint job in the engine compartment and outside. I did it all myself and it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. 😊
So you can imagine how mad I was over a stupid striped thread!
So close to enjoy her again.

Thanks for all the help as always.

Oh, the oil pump issue followed a dried up fuel pump gasket (luckily I had a spare) causing no fuel to the carbs. Solved that. and then carbs leaked fuel from some debris junk that went into the jets. Been there before and thought it was all clean.

Oh, the test to my sanity!
But I’m close now.

James

—Sent from my Atari 2600—