[6pack] Pi Saloon upgrading Question

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 05:31:43 MDT 2019

 Hi - Unless you run your Triumph REALLY HARD, the stock brakes are more than adequate for street duty. Regarding drive train, all these cars were parts shelf engineered, so they probably ran the same gearbox and differential that came in the TR6 from the factory (I verified the case and gears for the saloon are the same as TR6, but some external stuff is slightly different). Any issues that the initial design didn't address properly can be easily fixed. For example, in braking (the TR6), the factory rear wheel cylinders can be swapped for bigger (.750 is stock, .812 or .875 are swap-in upgrades) and you will get better balance front to rear and better stopping power. As with anything, there's a trade off for the upgrade, but it's an easy upgrade and if you know how to drive, a good upgrade. If you don't know how to drive, you'll learn about spinning out your TR6. ;-) But the point is, the initial parts on these ares are pretty adequate.

A lot of the perception about reliability of these cars is based on the false premise of inadequate parts. On the contrary, there are many aspects that are over-engineered. The reliability issues are more likely due to improper maintenance than anything. I see this all the time.

My opinion is based on 50 years of TR6 ownership and my cars see pretty hard use at times.
So, maybe there are magic part numbers out there for the copper cars, but chances are that they just used the next heftier parts on the shelf to create more over-over-engineered cars.
Regards,Bob Lang