[Alpines] Le Mans Classic Event 2008

JACranwell at aol.com JACranwell at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 03:18:24 MDT 2008

I had the most fantastic time at the Le Mans Classic this weekend.

There was a massive turnout of Alpines and Tigers, and I spotted at least 100
of them, mostly from the UK.

On the track, both Harrington (3000 RW) and Alpine (9201 RW) were
represented, and did very well, a few shots of these can be seen in the links below.

The Lister Tiger was not at this years event, as it was (and spun out
spectacularly into the gravel) in 2006. It may have been at the Goodwood Festival of
Speed, which for some daft reason was the same W/E.

9201 RW in the Pits
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30045654&l=03aba&id=1331721244

3000 RW in the Pits
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30045659&l=d816f&id=1331721244

9201 RW on track, grid 4
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30045663&l=4c64c&id=1331721244

3000 RW on Track, grid 3
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30045662&l=1667b&id=1331721244

My SIII going under the Dunlop bridge during the parade/race
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30045681&l=665b6&id=1331721244

Results for the event can be found at :
http://www.lemansclassic.com/2008/uk/surLaPiste_resultats.html

9201 RW came in 2nd overall for grid 4, and 3000 RW a respectable 38th in
grid 3.

I got to race a few laps with the amateurs on Saturday AM, and got the old
girl up to 118MPH on the Mulsanne straight, not bad considering I was carrying 2
passengers. We overtook a few E-types, Morgans and Alfas on the way round.
Absolutely awesome.

Just the run down and back was huge fun, and the number of classics being
driven down there is just mind-blowing.

I travelled down with a bunch of mates in a variety of classic, including 2
XK120 lightweights, and a couple of TRs. Photo of the posse at:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30045668&l=8c91a&id=1331721244

Anyone signed up to Facebook can enjoy an awesome, and growing collection of
photos, and videos, including one of my Alpine on track at the page for:
Lemans Posse.You may have to become a friend of Lemans Posse, or some such.

Enjoy, and if you've not made it to this event yet, put it in the diary for
2010.

Julian.