[Alpines] They don't call it an 'idiot' light for nothing

John and Sandra Lee jsrlee at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 18 17:38:59 MDT 2009

Discovered today that the big problem with my wiring job (Mk1A converted
to Alternator) - big problem being that the system wasn't charging had
to do with the fact that I didn't have a bulb in the idiot light
circuit, which interrupted power to the 'I' terminal on the Voltage
Regulator... oops!   So I'm going to make sure to put a resistor in
parallel with that light so that it ever burns out it won't kill my
charging circuit (like the stock MK2).

I notice also on the stock MK2 wiring diagram a 6RA Relay (which Sunbeam
Specialties refers to as a Field Isolating Relay, I'm assuming). There
is one on my Series V Alpine, but I don't quite understand how it works
for an Alternator-powered Tiger, as it isn't connected to the 'Field'
circuit at all. Anyone know what this relay does in the Tiger, and if it
is necessary?

Cheers,

Ryan Lee

p.s. Engine runs (first time since 1973) and sounds awesome!