[Alpines] Brake Problem

Paul Heuer paul at heuer.id.au
Fri Jan 2 04:32:12 MST 2009

Hey Bill,
I've had two flavours of sticking brakes on my S3 Alpine.

First was due to the flexible hoses collapsing on the inside (looked
fine from outside). This resulted in the booster having enough
pressure to force fluid through the collapsed hose, but then the
caliper pistons didn't have enough oomph to push the fluid back.

The second incident (with a fully overhauled system now), was due to
the overhauled brake booster sticking. Apparently the piston in the
booster can be temperamental. The good folks on this list recommended
re-lubing the piston with some silicon grease (as used on electronic
circuits and sourced from my local TV repair guy).

Good luck with the fix and be sure to let us know what the cause turns
out to be.

Cheers,
Paul in Australia.