[Alpines] alternator relay rating ..

Steven L. Finberg w1gsl at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 2 20:02:13 MDT 2009

Hi Barry

My error,  the field cut out relay is stock but is not in my driver...

It is also part of the   bass aquaward Lucas set up.
All it does is connect the alternator field to 12 V
when ever the ignition is on.  If I recall corectly the field current is
<5A ( I don't have the alpine books here... )  Measure the
field resistance between the 2 narrow terminals of the connector.
The max field current will be ~ 14.5V / field resistance.
All this relay does is to reduce the current flowing in the ignition switch.

Aside from requiring this relay and having a complicated warning light circuit
which modern alternators do not.. The Lucas circuit has one other serious
flaw,  If perchance you leave the ignition on without the
alternator turning...  It dosen't put out any charging current.. which
causes the regulator to command maximun field current, which heats up the
field winding without any cooling ... which burns the field out....
You are warned...

Steve F