[Alpines] pointless? AccuSpark

Peter Chadbund peter at wizardclassics.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 09:38:52 MST 2011

As an electronics engineer with some 50 years experience I regretfully have
to agree with Julian's comment.
Unfortunately many of these products are built to a price rather than foe
quality and reliability. In my youth (1960s) I designed and built an
electronic ignition system for my Hillman Imp which ran without problem for
four years, when I sold the car. It was eventually fitted to my Sunbeam
Stilletto (acquired in 1970) on which it continued to perform faultlessly
without problem for another four years. (needless to say it was built for
quality not to a "selling price")
However I do believe it is worth fitting a solid-state replacement for the
points, as these and the associated condenser, are the weak points in the
system. I bought a very cheap set off ebay which when health and weather
allow, I intend to fit to my wife's Alpine ser 5.
Pete