[Alpines] pointless? AccuSpark

jarrid_gross at earthlink.net jarrid_gross at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 18 12:02:12 MST 2011

Lauri and all,

I usually wholeheartedly recommend electronic igntion, but this is a case
(moreso a product) I would not.

I went to their website, the electronic ignition offering looks to me to be a
Pertronix knock-off.

Pertronix is one of the few EI products I would avoid like the plague.
Why?  Even if we ignore the reliability issues, fundemental flaws in design
philosophy makes the
cylinder to cylinder timing variable since they put 4 different magnets in the
rotating "target" wheel.

If you go with an electronic ignition system, go with one that uses a variable
reluctor sensor (like later
lucas 45D distributors), or one that is optically triggered.
Both technologies dont have the above design flaw.

In Europe Lumenition is what I would recommend, In the US, Crane XR700 or
XR3000.

HTH

Jarrid Gross