[Alpines] steering questions

RootesRooter rootesrooter at aol.com
Sat Jul 16 14:33:05 MDT 2011

Wandering on a highway rutted by truck tires is typical for Alpines.  It
should return to center on its own, though.

Sounds like the o-ring around the drop arm is kaput. It's much fun to replace
- NOT!  You'd be better off to fill the box with lithium grease instead of
90-wt.

Did refilling the steering box with oil (however temporary it might have
lasted) affect the steering tightness?  A long-dry box could do be
responsible.

It could also be that a PO removed one too many adjustment shims from under
the steering box cover plate.  (I'm not sure what you mean about adjustments
at the outer column)

Or its possible your ball joints are desperately in need of grease.