[Autojumble] [TR] For sale - CA black license plates -unissued/unused

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 10:06:40 MST 2011

> Wow.  What is it with California black plates?  The guys at
> bringatrailer.com are always going on and on about them.

They became kind of a status symbol among old car people, back when they
meant the car had actually remained registered in CA since the 60s.  Then
the law changed, so now you can have black plates on any old rustbucket
(within certain model years), but they have to be original black plates, not
reproductions.  Big demand plus limited supply = silly money.

But I do think they look more "at-home" than modern white plates.
http://tinyurl.com/yapelm5

-- Randall