[Autox] Towing discussion - another view point

spitfirejoe at email.com spitfirejoe at email.com
Tue Dec 8 23:35:26 MST 2009

 A friend of mine just told me he talked a North East Iowa manufacturer into
building a "Small Bore" trailer.  It's a single axle design - built to be
"HEAVY DUTY, LIGHT WEIGHT, LOW COST, EASY TO LOAD, AND EASY TO TOW....AND
GARAGABLE"  (his words).  Basic trailer is only $1875.  It doesn't have all
the bells and whistles, but looks darn nice and rugged enough to do the job
for those of us that drive little race cars.  Some bells and whistles are
available as options - nose fairing, electric brakes, alloy wheels, strap
winch were listed.

I pull my AutoX Spitfires around on a homebuilt (not by me) single axle
trailer with my bone stock V6 Automatic Ford F150 Supercab.  I have not had a
lick of trouble, though it does knock my gas mileage down to about 14.  ;-)
After reading all the notes on this list about trailer towing, I'm certainly
going to have an auxiliary trans cooler installed before I do any more towing.
It just makes sense.  I do have a good hitch, and there was a wiring kit on
the truck from the factory.  Everything has worked well, but I'm not towing
excess tons of stuff.

My point here is that if you HAVE to have a big trailer and lots of spares and
lots of tools - they you have to have a big truck.  Many of us need to look at
the costs associated with all this, however.  If I don't have to carry
everything, I can get by with a lighter trailer and therefore a lighter truck.
You guys that are chasing your dreams all over the country certainly need to
have bigger trucks and trailers - no question about that.

The discussion was enlightening on several issues, and I appreciate all the
information.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
NASS Member #31