[Autox] Mazda 6 problems?

Larry Steckel lorenzoscribe at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 04:51:51 MST 2009

Guys,

We just put our 2001 Mazda MPV through the Pennsylvania state inspection.
Ouch. that hurt.

When we picked up the car, our mechanic was on the phone with one of his
customers telling him his repairs were going to be expensive. Being curious I
asked him what kind of problem the other customer was having.

He told me that the guy had purchased a  (used I think) 2006 Mazda 6, 2.3
litre non turbo. Somehow ( I don't know the specifics) he wiped out the cam.
When the cam wiped, it also took out parts of the valve adjuster bits as well.

Our mechanic told me that getting a replacement cam was no problem, but Mazda
absolutely did not sell the adjusting mechanisms.  Nor does the aftermarket.
Our mechanic called a national company that does head rebuilds and were told
that they can't buy those parts either.

So the options were to buy a complete new head from Mazda, (very big bucks)
or go looking in junk yards for an engine out of a wrecked car.  (An iffy
proposition).

Have any other Team.Net readers heard of these problems?

Larry Steckel