[Autox] Maybe it's a Kansas thing...

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Sat Aug 21 19:59:22 MDT 2010

Here it is, late August, a few weeks before the Solo Nationals
and this list is as quiet as can be.  I remember back when there
would be over a thousand messages flowing through Team.Net
in the weeks leading up to Nationals.  But now there are so many
other options, this list is just a fading memory of what used to be.
True, there are other lists here that get a good dose of traffic, I
still run about 60 or so lists.  But things have changed.

One thing that hasn't seemed to change is my luck with trips to
Topeka.  Back in 1997 I hauled the Killer Spit to the Silver
Anniversary of the Solo Nationals.  It was great fun, a wonderful
few days, I was 1.4 seconds out of the trophies, which at Nationals
means there were like two dozen folks ahead of me for that last
trophy spot.  Sigh.

One thing I didn't like was the trip home.  I fell asleep at the wheel
on I-70 but avoided serious injury.  I thought I could make it the 15
miles to the next rest stop.  Oh well.  The race car, the tow vehicle
and I all managed to get through the incident with only minor
scrapes and bruises.

So this year I was headed to Topeka again, planning on attending
a vintage race at Heartland Park.  Didn't make it, didn't fall asleep,
just misjudged the rain and had another mishap on the highway:

http://www.team.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105

So it goes.  For any of you still out there who are heading to Nationals
[ NOT in Kansas ] good luck.  At least better luck than I had on my trip.

mjb.