[Autox] Autox Digest, Vol 2, Issue 23

Lonnie Heston lhheston at netscape.net
Thu Jun 17 21:43:13 MDT 2010

Mark, I think you saw an article wherein 2 college professors hacked the
onboard car computer, but controlling that car required having another
computer - a PC - onboard, connected to the OBD port.  They did all this
without help from the manufacturer, or any prior software knowledge of car
computer or networks.  They demonstrated they could turn on and off the
lights, change heater settings, alter the radio, kill the engine  - regardless
of switch position - and scariest of all - prevent the brakes from working.
See the computer geek magazine articles...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196293/car_hackers_can_kill_brakes_engine_and_
more.html

or

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/051410-car-hackers-can-kill-brakes.html
?source=nww_rss

Lonnie Heston -- Wichita

"No one has a "complete" set of tools."  -Bruce Bettinger

"I think Squarebob Spongepants just SOUNDS funnier"  -Lonnie