[Bmcu] Distributor points melted (82' Mini)

Dylan Thurston dylan.thurston at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 22:52:54 MDT 2010

Ok so i've had a huge series of problems with my mini. It all started with
replacing my fuel pump, which lead to the ignition coil burning out, the
starter solenoid and fuse box needed to be resoldered. Most of these things
were completely unrelated(as far as i can tell) they all just happened at
the same time. My latest problem was with spark. The distributor wasn't
working so i replaced the points and condenser. Ran fine for about 30sec and
died. So we added a ballast resistor but that prevented it from stating at
all. When we removed it again it ran for about 30 seconds and died. This
time however we found that the blue plastic in the points had completely
melted. My mechanic (who's been doing all of the work) is completely baffled
as to what could be causing the points to melt, like this especially in such
a short time. My mechanic set the points several times and he assures my
that there are very few people as experienced/skilled as him with adjusting
old mech ignition systems. Does anyone here have any idea what might be
causing something like this. I've gone ahead and ordered an electronic
ignition conversion kit, new coil, and spark wires from mini mania. I just
wanted to check to see if anyone might recognize a problem so that i don't
break something else when doing the conversion.
-Dylan