[Bmcu] Give your MGB the look of a modern roadster

Andrew Frink bugeye at drooartz.com
Mon Jan 4 19:11:06 MST 2010

This information came to me from the fellow below, and it looked like it could
be of interest to some club members, so I'm passing it on here. Please contact
Jerry at the info listed below if you wish more information on his products.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: jerrynelson at mchsi.com
> Subject: give your MGB the look of a modern roadster
>
> Fellow MG enthusiast,
>

> Please see attached file for photos of my newly invented MGB Boot.  The
following letter explains in detail........

> I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Jerry
Nelson and Ive been an Mgb owner for over 20 yrs. Having recently retired
Ive begun using my B for more over the road trips in addition to around town
everyday driver. In this capacity Ive been privy to several irritants of the
car, and   Im sure most of you will recognize them.

> 1.       For safety sake I believe every daily driven car should have a
third brake light , since this is something todays motorist and texter is
accustomed to.

> 2.       Top down driving causes the ears to roar and make your wifes hair
look like a punk rocker. Not a good way to impress her.

> 3.       I cannot hear the St. Louis cardinals baseball games , or the
golden oldies on my radio at anything above idle.

> This is how those problems were addressed . A laminated boot cover has been
developed which serves as a platform for a third brake light. (Photo #1) Shown
here is a very simple light which is included with the purchase of the cover.
I would encourage each owner to customize his or her unit with custom lighting
to emphasize their own personality.   You will notice the cover is hinged to
allow the top to be stored or raised.(Photo#2) The cover has no effect on the
operation of the top ,and can be left in place permanently if desired. The
entire assembly can be removed from the car quickly, by pulling the pins in
the hinges.

> To help with the wind problem we have a detachable Lexan wind screen which
is mounted to the cover by means of two wing nuts.(Photo#3) Lexan is
advertised to be 250 times stronger than glass, and is used for airplane
canopies.   There will be quite a noticeable difference in buffeting when this
screen is in use. I think you will enjoy this. Notice also, this cutout, which
allows the driver to see directly down the trunk line for safety purposes.

> Especially for those of you with Mk1 cars, which do not feature headrests,
we have these headrests (Photo#4) which are interchangeable with the
windscreen.(Photo#3)   Simply remove wingnuts and replace screen with
headrests. Headrests may be padded according to your preference.

> Although not included, I have installed speaker units in my boot,(Photo#3)
and I enjoy them immensely. These are head high behind the occupants, and
allow one to hear the radio at road speed without being ticketed for noise
pollution. I would urge everyone to install speakers in their boot. Notice
that quick disconnects are used for the speaker and brake light
feeds,(Photo#2) so the boot can be removed. The unit you see here has been
painted body color, but we have also tried some in satin black, which looks
nice with rubber bumpered cars. I look forward to seeing different ideas from
customers. Maybe upholstered, or contrasting colors, club insignia, what have
you? Should be interesting. There have also been suggestions on decorating the
wind screen, but be sure to check with your local and state authorities before
proceeding with this.

> In conclusion, this accessory has been developed, not only as a problem
solver, but as a way to encourage individualism, without severely changing
your Mgb. Hope you have fun with it. As I am not very fast, I am   producing
these on a limited basis. Current prices are as follows.