[Bmcu] Utah vintage car inspection rules

wiia at aol.com wiia at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 11:09:59 MST 2010

I have vintage plates on my 61 MGA in Iron County.  The car was originally
titled and plated with Illinois vintage plates.  I was told when I got the UT
vintage plates that there were driving restrictions for the vintage plates.
It can't be a regular driver, if so, you need regular plates.  Driving is
limited to club events, shows, pleasure driving, etc., but excludes regular
everyday driving.  Renewal is $10 annually in January, and safety inspection
is not required for annual renewal.  However, if you are out on a cruise, and
accosted by the local or state constabulary, you can be asked to show that the
car is safe to drive, so an annual safety inspection receipt with your
registration and insurance certificate was recommended as prudent.  In some UT
counties, 1968 and newer cars are required to pass emissions testing; it was
the same in the Chicago area.  I am not familiar with UT county emissions
testing, but in the Chicago area, the car was required to pass the emissions
requirements for the year produced.  I had a 69 Sprite that wouldn't pass
because the air pump had been removed by the previous owner that lived outside
the Chicago area.  For the 69 Sprite, it was more hassle and cost to find,
purchase, reinstall and retune the car for emissions than it was worth, and it
was more valuable to someone outside the Chicago area than it was to me.
Traded it.

If you don't intend to use the car as a daily driver, UT vintage plates are a
good deal.

Bill Adams - Supercharged 5-speed 61 MGA - Cedar City