[Bmcu] Starter Failure (update)

Ryan Border ryan_border at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 21:09:47 MST 2012

I was able to fish out the two pieces from the bell-housing, through the hole that the throwout lever goes through (bigger, higher on the side).

I got all the parts together, and took an inventory.   Something was obviously missing- looked like it should probably be a spring.   Found a diagram in one of my manuals and confirmed... it's a big spring.  The manual calls it the starter "main spring".

I think I finally found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqwakV3_feQ

It's really stuck.  I'm thinking the turning motor (under the torque of the starter) wedged it in here, between the flywheel and the bell-housing.   Back turning the motor by hand, might free it.  If that doesn't work, I think I'll be doing major surgery on this thing-

Ryan.