[Bmcu] Bought a Mini!

richsanders2020 at comcast.net richsanders2020 at comcast.net
Thu May 2 09:10:50 MDT 2013

In light of Gary's good counsel, indicating that the online database is not always accurate, I'll offer the following to anyone interested in obtaining "TR4" (assuming the DMV will let you do LESS THAN the 5 digits that the website insists on).

A Sandy neighbor of mine when I first moved to Utah in 1999 actually had the license "TR4" on a standard old style cream background/ black letter plate on his near original BRG car. Around the year 2000, and prior to my becoming a member of BMCU, he moved to Colorado and left me with his name and phone contact information. At the time he did not want to part with the Utah plate (which he could have surrendered and I could have used), but thought that it might be a future possibility. When I moved back to Utah recently, I found his name and number in my file and I've been trying to hunt him down in Colorado to no avail. I finally gave us, and went in the direction of a different custom vintage plate.

While I don't want to share this persons name on this forum, I will do so privately for anyone who has a TR-4 and might be interested in going to the DMV with the persons name and contact information in hand. If you can argue that the plate has not been registered for over ten years and that the person no longer resides in Utah, you may have a shot. Given Gary's comments, "TR-4" may show up as "not available" in the database, only due to the fact that is was "blocked" from the very beginning as it had already been issued at the time the search database file was first created. On the other hand if anyone in the club knows that "TR-4" is currently issued, please share that information. I'm guessing that if it has been issued, someone in BMCU would know.

Rich