[Bmcu] Bought a Mini!

Maclean, Jon A Jon.A.Maclean at boeing.com
Thu May 2 11:50:29 MDT 2013

Here is some info for inspection requirement for a vintage vehicle
jon

From the 2011-2012 Utah safety inspection manual, pg 77

2. "Vintage Vehicle" means
a. a motor vehicle that is 40(**) years old or older, used primarily as a
collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions,
tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses, but that is
not used for general daily transportation.
*NOTE: A vintage vehicle does NOT require a safety inspection
(UCA 53-8-205).
**This is changing to 30 years or older 1 jul2011
53-8-205.   Safety inspection required -- Frequency of safety inspection -- Safety inspection certificate required -- Out-of-state permits.
     (1) (a) Except as provided in Subsection (1)(b), a person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle required to be registered in this state unless the motor vehicle has passed a safety inspection.
     (b) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to:
     (i) a vehicle that is exempt from registration under Section 41-1a-205;
     (ii) an off-highway vehicle, unless the off-highway vehicle is being registered as a street-legal all-terrain vehicle in accordance with Section 41-6a-1509;
     (iii) a vintage vehicle as defined in Section 41-21-1;
     (iv) a commercial vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating over 26,000 pounds that:
     (A) is operating with an apportioned registration under Section 41-1a-301; and
     (B) has a valid annual federal inspection that complies with the requirements of 49 C.F.R. 396.17; and
     (v) a trailer, semitrailer, or trailering equipment attached to a commercial motor vehicle described in Subsection (1)(a)(iv) that has a valid annual federal inspection that complies with the requirements of 49
41-21-1.   Street rod and vintage vehicle defined.
     (1) (a) "Street rod" means a motor vehicle that:
     (i) (A) was manufactured in 1948 or before; or
     (B) (I) was manufactured after 1948 to resemble a vehicle that was manufactured in 1948 or before; and
     (II) (Aa) has been altered from the manufacturer's original design; or
     (Bb) has a body constructed from non-original materials; and
     (ii) is primarily a collector's item that is used for:
     (A) club activities;
     (B) exhibitions;
     (C) tours;
     (D) parades;
     (E) occasional transportation; and
     (F) other similar uses.
     (b) A street rod does not include a motor vehicle that is used for general, daily transportation.
     (2) (a) "Vintage vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is 40 years old or older, from the current year, primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses, but that is not used for general daily transportation.
     (b) "Vintage vehicle" includes a street rod.