[Bmw-mini] RE: Bmw-Mini digest, Vol 1 #7 - 2 msgs

Innovative Composite Engineering fhaas@gorge.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 09:59:36 -0800

>Message: 1
>From: Sharpe Christopher C LtCol AEFC/AEPJ
>  <christopher.sharpe@langley.af.mil>
>To: bmw-mini@autox.team.net
>Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:10:02 -0500
>Subject: [Bmw-mini] Mini reliability
>
>Mini owners,
>
>  I was all ready to buy a new Mini when my friend Marshall Cone (02
>MC)
>said that he has had numerous (23 to be exact) problems with his Mini
>since
>taking delivery.  Many of these problems were minor, but some, like
>the
>windshield cracking and transaxle problems were not so minor.  I am
>moving
>this summer to a town that is two hours from the nearest Mini dealer,
>and
>may not have the stomach for repeated trips to the dealer for
>warranty work.
>

>  My question is what is your experience in terms of reliability and
>what
>year/model do you have.  Some have said the '03s are much better than
>the
>'02s and that the MCS has a better transaxle.  Please provide your
>experiences.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris Sharpe
>potential Mini owner

I own two new Mini's... a standard Cooper (April purchase) and a MCS
(July purchase)... both now have about 6K miles on them . The only
problems I've had is the rear hatch rattling over bumps on the Cooper
(also once the hatch refused to open.... but it miraculously fixed
itself several days later).... No other problems to report. Also my
car is under the dreaded transmission clip failure recall.... but I
have not taken the car in yet to have this $2 fix done.......

My MCS has a slight dash rattle and the known cold start problem....
both of which I've plan to have addressed at it's first dealer
appointment when the car hits 10K miles.

I bought both of these cars halfway across the country and drove them
back home to Washington state with no problems along the way besides
too many people gawking and pawing at the car when parked. (and when
driving too!). I still remember in late April when an older couple in
a brand new Jag passed me on the interstate when I was doing almost
90, just to get a look at the the mini (I was in Montana at the
time!).... too bad a state trooper pulled them over a mile or so down
the road....

I think the new mini is a great little car with a character all it's
own. To me there is simply nothing on the new car market to compare
with it right now. It has a mixture of go-kart like driving fun (much
like the original mini was), retro-cool styling and quirky
British/BMW build quality. It has to be one of the best buys for the
buck on the market right now....... I wouldn't be scared off by a
couple people's posting mostly trivial problems.... The major
windsheild cracking problem was addressed in late May by the factory
(being glass installed too low in the windshield frames). As for the
little noises,squeeks and rattles.... to me it simply means it's
British.

The 2003's seem to have more of the small bugs worked out I'd go
stand in line and see if you can get a nice 2003 MCS for MSRP.

Regards,
Frank H
Bingen,WA

My current rides....

 1954 Austin Healey 100 (BN1)
 1956 Austin Heaely 100 (BN2)
 1959 Chevy Apache pickup
 1960 Austin Mini
 1965 MG Midget (highly modified)
 1967 BMW 1600 (track car)
 1968 Lotus super 7
 1968 BMW 2002 (supercharged)
 1968 MGC GT
 1970 BMW 2800
 1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
 1979 BMW euro 528i (daily driver w 3.5l engine)
 1979 BMW Alpina B7 turbo (E12 sedan)
 1980 BMW Alpina B7 turbo (E24 coupe)
 1981 BMW Alpina B7 turbo (E12 sedan)
 1981 BMW M535i