[Bricklin] Holley Carburetor for 351 Windsor

JLC breton48 at live.com
Sat Dec 10 11:43:34 MST 2011

Hi... I receive one or two request per week regarding the Holley Carburetor
Terry Tanner recommends, so here we are:  Terry told me to buy the Holley
500 CFM double barrel model 0-4412C or 0-4412S.  The only difference between
the two is that the C model is shiny while the S model is not.  For some
reason, the shiny model seems to be usually a few dollars less than the
other version. Terry told me most local auto parts shops (AutoZone, Pep
Boys, O'Reilly, etc.) would have it, and that there would be little
difference in price between them and online stores that would also carry
this item, such as Summit. In the end, I bought mine from Summit.

Terry told me switching from the Motorcraft to the Holley carburetor always
results in improved driveability and performance from the stock 351 Windsor
engine.

This carburetor has a manual choke. Terry told me he usually ties the choke
lever back  in the open position. Apparently the engine will start in cold
conditions without the choke on. Terry has one customer in Detroit who
reported no problems starting his Bricklin with the no choke Holley.  I
assume it would be rather easy to install a cable, but that would mean
drilling another hole in the dash and/or the firewall and I would rather not
do that, so I will try the "no choke" method.

I placed the carburetor on the manifold, and so far I can only see a couple
of problems: the fuel inlet is just in front of the coil, and it seems as I
will have to move the coil to the firewall.  Not a bad idea to start with,
as I never liked the idea of the coil sitting right on top of the engine.
Also, while the Holley carburetor comes with the  Ford kickdown lever, the
original Bricklin throttle cable seems just a tad too long to fit to the
Holley throttle linkage. I think Terry told me something about that, but I
was not taking notes while taking to him, and I might have to call him
again.  There might be an adapter available.  I will have a blanking plate
made for the now unused choke heat riser plate on the manifold. The Holley
does not look as high as the original Motocraft 2150, so there should be no
problems with hood clearance. If the air cleaner does not clear the
linkages, there is a spacer available from Holley.

Holley's paperwork gives very clear instructions on how to install the
carburetor. Holley also has videos online giving very thorough instructions
on how to set up Holley carburetors  (search HolleyTV.com).

Finally, the Holley paperwork states this carburetor is not suitable for the
AOD transmission.

JLC #2121