[Bricklin] Installing the Door Skin

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Tue Mar 22 06:51:28 MST 2011

At 01:53 AM 3/22/2011, Larry Ankeny wrote:

 >I am in the middle of redoing the doors and I thought I read somewhere (but I
 >can't find the article again) that before gluing the skin to the
door, you should
 >glue the mirror/cat whisker bracket to the door skin first.  Is
this correct,
 >because on mine, that bracket is tacked to the window track.  If
so, I assume
 >you remove that bracket from the track before gluing it to the door skin.

Larry,

Yes, that was in one of the articles I wrote about redoing the doors,
and I believe
it's in John Lodge's artice about rebodying a car (just not sure if
that part has been printed yet).

The reasoning behind cutting the cat whisker bracket from the window frame, is
that the door skin doesn't lay against it, as it was supposed to.  So
if you glue
the door skin to it, and install the rear view mirror and clamp it down it will
warp the door skin and you'll have a slight indention of the skin
along that line.

So by cutting the whisker bracket off the window frame, and gluing it
to the back
of the door skin, the skin get reinforced, the mirror can be pulled up tightly
against the door and to the bar, and you don't warp the door skin.

Rick does have another option, moving the whisker bracket out on the
window frame by cutting and reweldking it.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229