[Bricklin] seafoam

monfort_g monfort_g at bellsouth.net
Thu May 5 11:40:42 MDT 2011

Since brand new. I learned about it from a cross country trucking neighbor
way back in '58 and to this day it's still my 'secret sauce' for 'fixing'
folk's various car, lawn mower, weed eater, etc. poor-to-'broken'
performance.

I was rather surprised though that it 'repaired' the 2000 Toyota Tundra V6 I
bought from CarMax back in 2006. Last year it failed the smog test with
Autozone's testing claiming a new front o2 sensor was required, though it
seemed to be running fine. Anyway, long, frustrating, quality time
consuming, relatively expensive education cut short, all I needed to do was
clean the existing air mass flow sensor with Sea Foam spray, making all the
new parts except the sparkplugs I bought/removed just a bunch of expensive
replacements I may never need now since it was so low mileage when I bought
it and have put so few miles/year on it since.

A [now] major upside is I concluded that apparently CarMax didn't do all
they claim they do WRT making sure the vehicle's relative mechanical health
is tip-top and now that I'm satisfied that it is, gas mileage has been
several miles/gallon [mostly short, stoplight intensive trips] better than
the EPA highway rating in some part due to it no longer 'hunting' back n'
forth between high and overdrive when climbing Hotlanta's many long,
undulating highways and byways.

The only downside I'm aware of is that using the dictum of 'if some is good,
more is better' can convert a neglected motor into an oil fogger as it can
strip out every ounce of sludge that's holding it together. Might as well do
the old mineral spirits or diesel fuel cleansing and save the $$$.

Poured into similar condition gas tanks whether in or out of the vehicle, be
prepared to clean and/or replace filters, or carburetors if there's no
in-line fine filter to keep it running for any length of time and why I like
the clear ones for easy monitoring during initial use, i.e. IME it's not
necessarily a 'pour and forget' chemical like the typically super diluted
gas additives unless you're starting with a basically clean, 'healthy'
system.

With late model smog motored 2 strokes in particular, I have to use a folded
up panty hose filter on the gas can since there's apparently enough
contaminants/'additives'? in either the oil/gas/both? that Sea Foam reacts
to, usually rapidly clogging the carburetor's extremely fine filter with a
fine foam, for lack of a better description.

Will other products do just as well and/or be better bang/buck? Don't have a
clue as I've never been one to 'mess with success'. As always though, YMMV.

GM